If your jaw pain is making your life difficult, call Perrigo Dental Care at 205-545-8007 to schedule a consultation for a teeth grinding or TMJ treatment. At our Birmingham, AL dentist office, Dr. Lucas Perrigo and our professional team have helped countless patients get out of pain and back to a normal life with a healthy jaw. With our help you’ll be able to:
- Chew food in comfort again
- Stop the inflammation in your jaw and allow it to heal
- Get relief from headaches
Relax Your Jaw With A TMJ Treatment
TMJ disorder affects the complicated joints where your lower jaw connects to your upper jaw. Frequently, TMJ disorder is connected to involuntary teeth grinding and clenching, which overworks your jaw joint and causes pain. Some of the other potential symptoms include:
- Pain, tenderness, and possibly swelling in your shoulders, neck, jaw, and face
- Noises that sound like clicking, popping, or grating coming from your jaw while you chew
- Difficulty or discomfort chewing, as if your upper and lower jaw are not fitting together correctly
- Lockjaw, or a jaw that gets “stuck” in either the closed or opened position
- Difficulty opening your mouth wide
- A frequent or even constant ringing sensation in your ears (tinnitus)
- Pain similar to an earache without actually having an ear infection
In order to determine the severity of your TMJ disorder and figure out the best approach for treatment, Dr. Perrigo will feel your jaw as it moves to check for any potential misalignments. He will also discuss your problem with you, listen to any concerns you have, and answer all of your questions so you’ll better understand your situation and planned treatment.
Depending on how the initial examination goes, Dr. Perrigo may request a panoramic X-ray to further investigate the muscles and joints in your jaw, face, and neck. This will give him a clear view of your overall situation.
If your case of TMJ disorder is not very severe, Dr. Perrigo will most likely recommend simple and often temporary lifestyle changes to relieve your pain. Here are just some of the do-it-yourself remedies you can try:
- Perform relaxation techniques, like meditating
- Avoid eating difficult-to-chew foods like steak for a few weeks
- Practice jaw relaxation
- Sleep with a warm compress
- Take over-the-counter muscle relaxers
- Massage your face and jaw
- Support your chin with your fist while yawning to prevent your jaw from locking up
If these tactics do not work, Dr. Perrigo will take a precise impression of the inside of your mouth to have a custom mouthguard or splint made for you. This oral appliance will slightly shift your jaws into proper alignment and prevent teeth grinding so your jaw joints can relax and heal. You will wear it at night while you sleep and possibly during the day as well depending on Dr. Perrigo’s recommendation.
In more severe cases, Dr. Perrigo can do a full-mouth reconstruction to correct the alignment of your teeth and jaws.
Dr. Perrigo will discuss all of your treatment options with you so you can make an informed decision and know exactly what to expect.
To ensure your comfort during your visits and relieve your dental anxiety, we offer a variety of amenities, including:
- Soft pillows
- Warm blankets
- Aromatherapy options
- Bottled water or another refreshing beverage of your choice
- Headphones so you can listen to your favorite music
If there’s anything our calming, soothing team can do to help you feel more at ease, just let us know!
Stop putting up with headaches and other issues caused by your jaw – call Perrigo Dental Care at 205-545-8007 to find out if a TMJ treatment can help you. You can also swing by our conveniently located Birmingham, AL dentist office or use our online form to ask questions or schedule.